Quake3e optimized client

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:03 am

Not too long ago I noticed a few players including one UZ Admin using an urt client that records demos in .dm68 format which is makes it an unwatchable demo so it should in fact be a false upload? Is there going to be something done about this or will you just look the other way for your own good and hope we forget about this?

Biddle how can this be allowed when it gives unfair advantage and it has unwatchable demos, If I played with such a client you're saying I could just cheat and upload the demo but no one can watch it so I can't get banned for it. This should be dealt with asap I believe and most importantly before the NC final?

Last edited by Colony on Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 am; edited 3 times in total

Colony
Wannabe
Wannabe

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:29 am

The client concerned allows the player to use a fov higher than the fov capped in the regular client (i.e. fov exceeding 110) + allows higher fps than the fps capped in the regular client (i.e. fps exceeding 125). Obviously this is a serious offense since this allow the player using this third party client a clear advantage over player using the regular client. Therefore team France cheated and should be eliminated from the competition and have their titles stripped if they have been using this client in the past as well. My 2cents!

Vrederust
Regular
Regular

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 am

I hope our queries will be heard and adressed in the new config files.

Slazick

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 am

hmmm if this is true, and that client does have those advantages, imo, it's unacceptable. And on top of that, that client is only available for a selected group of people? ...

MFallen

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:12 am

As I've said before, the fact that almost noone knows about this client speaks for itself. If its going to be allowed everyone should know about it or get the chance to use it.

Its a huge advantage for the smaller group of people that actually uses it and the fact that you cant watch the demos without having an older client or special client is absolute bullshit.

feskarn

Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Don't kill the game I've been playing for 21 years.
Many of you still walked from pitch to pitch and I was sick of CW and PCW

Sines

Re: Quake3e optimized client

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 pm

I guess some clarifications need to be made..

The quake3e (q3e) client is the next gen ioquake3 client a few devoted persons are hard working on to adapt it to the Urban Terror mod. It is reaching a very stable state of use and can help both low and high spec PCs to get a better gaming experience.

The optimized client is fully public, the project was initiated by Cyrax focused on another Quake 3 Arena mod. You can read more on the topic here: www.esreality.com/post...quake3e-2/

The Urban Terror port is till WIP and can be found here: gitgud.io/c0ffee/quake3e

As more and more players have been asking about it the last weeks, our stand has been at UZ that the client is allowed in UZ matches. And I have even myself been advising players on low spec PCs to give it a try.

To start with, the implication that some player use a non public client is simply wrong. The client is public, the two links above can even be found with a simple google search. Regarding the several people that play with it and did the right thing, i.e. ask an admin if it was authorised to play with it, they were answered YES. The same way the SACC, mitsu or p5 builds have been authorized in the past. Improvements to the UrT experience are always welcome and are always considered to be integrated to the allowed UZ builds. Exactly like the mentioned clients that improved sound settings, network code, mouse settings, etc.

The quake3e client offers great progress, and we can only encourage you to try it out for:

- more stable FPS
- native ALSA support for linux
- enhanced demo code: now you can record during demo playback
- significant memory usage reduction for dedicated servers
- server auto-restart for long non-stop game series (no need for restart scripts at all)
- etc.

In 2020, the authorized builds are clear, ioq3, karnute, m9, q3e, r00t & the old vanilla default client. On an other note, looking at the mid-long term, we plan to enforce for league players the q3e client to limit at best the cheat use, but we're not there yet.

That said, it was brought to my attention earlier this week that players were aware that the FOV could currently be set to values in a wider range in q3e. (As a matter of fact, the most worrying part is rather lower values like 50 FOV or so, that could just simply allow you to zoom in for long distance aiming, than higher view angles that have more drawbacks). I appearently should never have authorized the client without further investigations at that time. Nevertheless, that has been fixed and locked as fast as we could. We can't hold the users who played with it for accountable as they have been authorized to do so. Furthermore, we're pretty confident they were not even aware of this issue till very recently.

Regarding the DEMO format, the client currently has the quake .dm_68 format and not the .urtdemo one. This is being worked on and quake3e will be able to read both the old .urtdemo format and .dm_68 ones in the close future. For the moment, reading .dm_68 demos is extremly simple. If anyone wanted to do so he could just download the q3e client (or any other client with the dm_68 protocol) and read them. Other than that, the demos can be transposed from one file type to the other in a split second (if needed be).

As we do aknowledge some people might have not yet been aware of how to try the build, to ease things even further, the client has been added to the site's Downloads.

And for the curious ones, we will soon have a fully Discord integration working allowing you to join your mates on the server they are playing on through Discord. Here is a quick preview: www.youtube.com/watch?v=39l5IDuiIUQ

Last edited by Biddle on Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Biddle
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 am

As a reminder and because I was asked to reply here to clarify things, is officially considered cheating by FrozenSand any unlocking of cvars that are intentionally locked in the QVM by the FS developers, such as maxfps and fov which have clearly defined and QVM-enforced min and max values on "normal" game clients.

Those two urt-specific commits made by a community member 6 months and 3 months ago in that engine's repository intentionally unlock maxfps and fov:
gitgud.io/c0ffee/quake...53c9b40709
gitgud.io/c0ffee/quake...2c2164ad81

Barbatos

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 pm

The quake3e client has now been patched by their devs with the possibility to read .urtdemo, .dm_68 and even .dm_71 demo files.
To allign with the default client, the FOV and FPS values have been downgraded to the old limitations.

Please adress further comments on the client's repository: gitgud.io/c0ffee/quake3e/-/issues

Thanks to Barba's review, the files in the download page have been updated.

Biddle
Admin
Admin