Flag Capture Competition

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Flag Capture Competition

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 am

Hi,

Today I played on a public server which had a stopwatch recording the time players take to capture flags. I started to try capturing the flag as fast as possible, and I find this really fun. I did 3.31 on algiers red side, blue flag.
So I was asking myself if it was possible to create a competition like HoF on urtjumpers. (HoF = Hall of fame, these are the records on jumpmaps cf. www.urtjumpers.com/halloffame.php ), on Urban Zone.
A competition between players, to try to do the fastest captures possible on official frag maps and maps such as orbital_sl & tohunga_b8.
No seasons, players can send their demos when they want, when they think they did their best personal record or so.
Referees (I can be a referee if needed) will check the demos to see if all the rules were respected etc... and finally approve the demos or not.

The bot starts the stopwatch when you touch the opponent team flag and stops when you capture it.
No modifications of g_gravity/g_knockback are allowed, same for every cvar that could modify the player movements. (I don't know cvar that much, if someone could tell me if there are more cvar that modify the speed or anything, i would appreciate to know it)
Players are allowed to use grenade and HK69 explosions as a propulsion. Boots and teamjumps aren't allowed. Glitchs and features such as the infinite slide would be allowed as long as they are not modifications of the game.
I don't see many rules at the moment to add, it's pretty simple. If you have ideas to avoid anything, share them.

There would be a webpage for each map - Red & Blue sides - with the best times and the demos available by the players. (Like this

The first issue is that you can't time precisely your flag captures in local. You need a bot like on public servers (b3?). I know it's possible to have infinite stamina/save/load/regainstamina in local, so this should be possible no?
The second one is that the stopwatch (for the moment) doesn't time milliseconds, if we can't be more accurate we will have a lot of ties.

If you have any suggestions, let me know these.

I hope everyone would enjoy to play a competition like this as much as I would.

Samchun

Re: Flag Capture Competition

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi Samchun,
Yes we have thought about this, in fact we want to run a jump competition, we want to run a lot more competitions but because TS and CTF leagues take a lot of our time we haven't yet. This is because of the lack of anti-cheat and the lack of active referee's. Hosting custom competitions with us is possible (if done correctly) we want to provide quality competitions to the community. But imo the moment Urban Terror HD gets released (with jumpmode) Urban Zone will open such a competition.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Okay, thanks for answering. I'll wait for Frozen Sand if I don't find a way to time the flag captures then.

If anyone who read this post is capable of creating an accurate stopwatch in game, contact me. Thanks

Samchun

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 am

I shouldn't be saying this but, we're working on an event that will be held at the end or beginning of the year that has an accurate stopwatch for something similar. I've said too much Razz

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:43 am

sigh, always trying to please, seven. hopeless Smile

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Samchun, there's a website out there somewhere that has a flag capping season.

They've a server with 1 map per week I think, and you can have as many shots as you'd like. It all gets recorded.
I'll ask around for the website

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:11 pm

It was urtcappers.info

Both site and competition are dead.

szejdi
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Seven, that's called teasing! Smile

ButterdBread
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:15 am

Tea Sing?

JohnnyEnglish
Regular
Regular

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Great idea. UrT World Records Smile

Slash
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm

- SevenofNine
But imo the moment Urban Terror HD gets released (with jumpmode) Urban Zone will open such a competition.

Since the jump mode got released I haven't noticed any new competition, so what's up? Razz

Samchun

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Good point Smile Well first the excuses:
- it was released in the wintercup, I'd like to have a jump competition at the same time with the regular league
- 4.2 hasn't been widely adopted unfortunatly

But I'd really appreciate a good talk with a number of jumpers that would be willing to help run the competition. What do you think, should we do this in IRC/TS3 or rather in a forum? Then I'll make a thread in here somewhere. In the mean time i'll contact our web guy (Kendle) to ask him for a score method with times instead of points.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Page 1 of 1