How to deal with cheaters?

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

How to deal with cheaters?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 am

Might be a good idea if one of the Urban-Zone admins made a thread within a guide how to handle with evidence. I'm encountering evidence every month, but I never know what to do. I just start to pm admins out of panic and enthusiasm to ban a cheater. A guide awnsering example questions like these would be very helpful!

Where to send suspicious demos?
What to do with demos, make timers?
I have a few screenshots of someone admitting he is hacking, what to do?
Are these screenshots helpful?
What will happen to the evidence I send in?
How will I know if the suspect has been found guilty or not?
I have server logs with someone having the port 1337, what now?

rYuuJiN
Donor 2
Donor 2

Re: How to deal with cheaters?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am

Hi rYu, I'll be short and sweet regarding this topic, I'm aware that the answers wont be ideal but we have a lack of
- We're not the UAA, if you find a cheater in an Urban Zone League match you contact the supervisor or an admin.
- A demo without timers will not be accepted.
- Screenshots or text is not evidence, people can be sarcastic or take back the statement.
- no, only screenshots that are of any use are with radar etc and even then...
- If the evidence (demo) is from an Urban Zone match it will be posted in our private forums where referee's and admins can vote.
- At the end of the season eya posts a list of cases we've covered with the result. Atm we don't inform the person who brings something to light. If it's a ban I'm sure it will be hard to miss Very Happy
- Good question, I know we do ban on this kind of evidence, we accept this kind of evidence from a select group of server owners. A question for eya or another admin to answer.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm

1337 ports are not considered as decisive evident, since you can set that value manually in your config, but it's a first hint and Urban Zone will surely be interested in these logs. Send them to admins @ urban-zone.org or directly to eya_allam by pasting a link on irc or mailing it to eya @ urban-zone.org.

For demos, yea, timers are definitely necessary, but UZ also needs to be able to confirm the players identity. Anyone can download an aimbot and play on a public as rYuuJiN, so you need a proof that it's the certain, accused player.

I'm sure admins will also be interested in screenshots of players who admit cheating, even if it doesn't prove anything, it's good to know who to keep an eye on Razz

i play bots everyday. nowhere to play that aint 250 ping

xesya
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm

seven and xesya summed it up nicely, just to go question by question:

Where to send suspicious demos?
we deal with league demos first. if we ever find ourselves without any work, we may accept outside demos. it's not usually the case

What to do with demos, make timers?
make timers. if you're trying to approach us with a non-league demo, we need definite proof of identity - server logs most likely

I have a few screenshots of someone admitting he is hacking, what to do? Are these screenshots helpful?
we're not going to do anything about that, we need to prove it's true first. like xesya said, it's good to know that someone owned up but we can't do much beside watching the person closely

What will happen to the evidence I send in?
screenshots - bookmarked/downloaded, stored for reference. not much else
demos - reviewed if they're league. queued if not

How will I know if the suspect has been found guilty or not?
you can check the banlist once in a while HERE. we also update a forum thread with processed demos here. updates depend on available time, since you already have the banlist to check.

I have server logs with someone having the port 1337, what now?
send us the logs. xesya explained why.

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm

thanks for awnsering. I was hoping you would make this information permanent on some faq or help page for all the players. so I won't be the only one that knows what to do, but new players on Urban-Zone also know what to do. there are players out there so clueless what to do they send me the evidence, while im not an admin Razz

rYuuJiN
Donor 2
Donor 2

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 am

might think about that. though truth be told, 99 percent of people never bother checking the stuff we already provided Smile

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 am

another quick question: does Urban-Zone use the banlist of UAA?

rYuuJiN
Donor 2
Donor 2

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am

no

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 am

It might be interesting to know what kind of cheats are available at the moment. Not to use them ofcource, but to have an impression of what cheats are being used by cheaters. Call me old fashion, but I'm only familiar with the aimbotters and wallhackers. But over the course of time I heard about new cheats, like radarhack, lowfovbot, netlimiter etc.

Not to make players paranoid, which may cause this, but would be nice to have a short description of cheats and abuses being used at the moment, so we might spot something in demos that fits the description. At the moment I feel useless vs cheaters. When watching demos of suspicious players I have no clue what to look for.

So, could someone(not only admins) make a list of cheats with a short description added, and perhaps some advice how to notice these cheaters. Players should be more involved in the fight vs cheaters, we can't all become an admin unfortunately. Thanks in advance.

rYuuJiN
Donor 2
Donor 2

Page 1 of 1