Few suggestions for website / CMS

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Few suggestions for website / CMS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi all,

I appreciate all hard work on this league and website... Here are my few eurocents about possible functional improvements + some errors i noticed... Take this all as comments/suggestions and ignore manner/tone in which i wrote it. Spent some time redacting but definitely can't express myself good in non native tongue Smile

Match id uz195.

Played maps were Casa and Dust2 instead of To Be Advised and Crossing. They were not available from menus. We played 2 hours after midnight and imd guys told us we should play maps for that "new" week.

[b00bs]Orphal demos got assigned to opponent team.

Btw, make the POV menu only show same team players.

Not that it is important, but as mixing game modes is available, why not make it per map? (shown on top of/bellow of map pic). We played TS and CTF. Fixture only shows TS.

- Configurations for servers should be available from download area... Top (left) navigation menu: Home | Downloads and Competition UZ SC rules page...

Competition|Configs is something else. They are available by looking one of the oldest posts... or Summercup rules.

- Rename map packs in download area to include dates... and put names of available maps as comment. Also link the game mode pics?

- Reorder map packs by date?

- Put Map dates to rules page? Make the "map pack1-date" link to download that pack?

- Edit team / clan details is hard to find now. Maybe put some edit team info link into "clan profile" page...

It is not intuitive doing Competition | Teams, search for team...

- The "edit team" icon looks like "settings", but imo it would be better to also put text "Settings" / "Options" or something.

I get having icon only eases some stuff design wise, (like clan website url that could be long etc)... but text settings or options is allways known size.

Competition|Demos.

Location field should be renamed "Map". Btw, only about 1 out of 10 have map chosen.

POV, maybe tooltip or whatnot explaining it is Position of view...

Competition|Players:

- Some have "urban terror" logo and UAC under "Games" column.

Put "Urban Terror" beside UrT logo?

Separate uac from that column.

Put Clan/Clans column there.

Shrink Active and Recruit columns.

W/D/L/C. Create tooltip "Win/Draw/Lose/Conflict"

urban-zone.org/index.p...mp;event=2

Shrink columns Date and Server. Put State instead of St. Shortening short words makes no point.

I'd write whole words instead of U/A/P... At least make them tooltip (Talking about U = Unaccepted, A = Awaiting Result, P = Played, C = Conflict/Confirmation, D = Declined)

Put explanations and column names on top and bottom (also in every similar table)

Definitely get rid of the "who is where" block.

Navigation would be less confusing if there was no dissapearing "bellow header center menu". Put it as allways visible 'block" at same line as "top left drop down navigation menu"? Get rid of the crumbs and put the "Welcome | Username | Logout" to same line.

[b00bs]The-spiki

I sell frozen jogurt which i call frogurt.

www.b00bs-clan.com .::. www.youtube.com/b00bsclan .::. www.twitch.tv/b00bsclan .::. www.twitter.com/b00bsclan .::.
www.b00bs-clan.com/servers 13 UrT 4.1 + 12 UrT 4.2

The-spiki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Few suggestions for website / CMS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 pm

As the software developer I'll address the points that are software issues as opposed to how the UZ stuff have configured the system or any other decisions they've made.

- The-spiki

[b00bs]Orphal demos got assigned to opponent team.

Could be a bug, I'll look into it.

- The-spiki

Btw, make the POV menu only show same team players.

Yep, that would be better (currently it shows everyone who plays for either team).

- The-spiki

Not that it is important, but as mixing game modes is available, why not make it per map? (shown on top of/bellow of map pic). We played TS and CTF. Fixture only shows TS.

That would be quite an extensive mod believe it or not, and not one that I want to undertake right now.

- The-spiki

- Edit team / clan details is hard to find now. Maybe put some edit team info link into "clan profile" page...

I thought it was easier, select the "Teams" tab from "My Player Profile". Perhaps renaming "My Player Profile" to "My Control Panel" would make more sense?

- The-spiki

Competition|Demos:
Location field should be renamed "Map". Btw, only about 1 out of 10 have map chosen.

The system supports many games, not all of which use the word "map", hence a generic word "location", but that can be changed via the language file. The reason many demos don't have a map name is because they don't have to, they could be a single dm_68 file from both maps played.

- The-spiki

Competition|Players:
- Some have "urban terror" logo and UAC under "Games" column.
Separate uac from that column.
Put Clan/Clans column there.

No enough screen space to do that, the UAC column was separate but I combined it with the Games column to save space, and some players are in more than one clan, so adding clan names would completely screw the layout.

- The-spiki

Navigation would be less confusing if there was no dissapearing "bellow header center menu". Put it as allways visible 'block" at same line as "top left drop down navigation menu"? Get rid of the crumbs and put the "Welcome | Username | Logout" to same line.

No idea what you're refering to here, perhaps post an image ?

Anything I haven't commented on is not a software issue and / or is not going to happen Wink

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:14 am

If things happen or not, it is good to see that the developer directly reacts to questions and comments.
Kendle, you got my respect. As The-spiki mentioned, there are some issues in the CMS which are bit confusing, so hopefully the UZ stuff will follow your suit...

Regards
KK

Killerkarla
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Spiki, thanks for your feedback, it's very much appreciated as we hope to make this site/league as good as it can be, I'll try and answer some of your issues regarding the league.

- The-spiki

Match id uz195.
Played maps were Casa and Dust2 instead of To Be Advised and Crossing. They were not available from menus. We played 2 hours after midnight and imd guys told us we should play maps for that "new" week.

Officially the [imd] guys were right that it was after midnight etc, though for me it's kind of a grey area, it's still the same "day" because you haven't slept yet, so maybe saying that from 6:00 am it's the next week would be better. I've talked to some fellow admins and we've decided that from now on from Monday 0:00 to 6:00 am is a grey area and you can play maps from the last week and the next week. This will be put in the rules.
Anyway regarding that the maps weren't available in the menu is because I'm the only one changing the available maps and I'm not going to wait up till 0:00 exactly to change them, I try to do it before the wars get played for next day (so in the morning/afternoon of Monday)

- The-spiki

- Configurations for servers should be available from download area... Top (left) navigation menu: Home | Downloads and Competition UZ SC rules page...
Competition|Configs is something else. They are available by looking one of the oldest posts... or Summercup rules.

I'll look into that, I'm pretty much the download area guy and you've got a point, while we're changing the rules section a little we might as well link to the config's Smile

- The-spiki

- Rename map packs in download area to include dates... and put names of available maps as comment. Also link the game mode pics?
- Reorder map packs by date?

The names of the map maps are long already, and include the week, so I see no reason to add the dates. The names of the maps are included, only not for the map pack that has all weeks. What do you mean with game mode pics?

- The-spiki

- Put Map dates to rules page? Make the "map pack1-date" link to download that pack?

Good point, we only had it in the first news post about the summer cup.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 pm

I hope you people don't mind if i put my little suggestion here.

Well in my opinion it would be cool to have gravatar (en.gravatar.com) support for avatar. It shouldn't be hard to do I think.

PyroBor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Not at all, your suggestions are welcome. I wasn't even aware that something like this existed, it seems designed for lazy people, it's not THAT much work to upload an avatar Razz Anyways, as I mentioned in my last reply, our webmaster is currently on holidays, I'll leave the decision up to him as it's his CMS and I don't think it's a neccesity. But thanks for pointing it out. He might be in a very good mood when he comes back from holidays, time to abuse it Twisted Evil

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:56 pm

- SevenofNine
...it seems designed for lazy people...

Agreed, just select "My Avatar" from the "User Info" menu (when logged in) and copy / paste your gravatar URL (with ".jpg" on the end) into the "Link to offsite Avatar" field.

One day, when I've completely run out of things to do, and am really, really, really bored, I might think about this, but don't hold your breath Wink

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm

RSS feed on www.urban-zone.org/rss...php?type=1 could be formated a bit... Now is just raw text. Really hard to read. Also link to RSS (the one you can click in address bar in firefox) should be changed from www.urban-zone.org/rss/news2.php ... Well to something more about urban zone Smile

PyroBor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Got rid of the news2 feed, as that relates to the default news module which we don't use, the one we do, core, will be updated with a new content system I hope to have ready in a week or 2.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Page 1 of 1