Map Choise

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Map Choise

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I think the choise of a map should have a limited time in the next season. Atleast 24 hours before the match would be much better cuz the map choise system becomes very senseless if the map can be changed at any time - quote rules: "before the match"

HummelHeXer

Re: Map Choise

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 pm

teams adjust their map choice to the opponent, players available at match time, etc. it is a powerful strategic weapon, sometimes

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 am

It's a lame and dishonorable trick waiting for the last second to change ur map although you sheduled another one. And the strategy factor would not be destroyed by telling the map 1 day before the game, I think the contrary would be the effect.

HummelHeXer

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 am

map adjustments are not always meant to scam the opponent. imagine you lose your best player for your selected map because of family issues. your replacement is far more comfortable in a completely different map. that's not something you can do 24 hrs ahead. most teams don't change their map before the match, the few that do usually have a reason to. and some are plain idiots

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 am

Indeed and next to that if people would not be lazy the refs and admins should not have to pick a map for them (in order to force the match, after deadline, both teams need to have selected a map) that's also a reason why teams change. And indeed if you have tohunga selected as your map and your jumping middle guy is for a reason not available at the last moment you do want to change. That's logical and I can't see what's wrong with that.

Gnurkus
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:36 am

The rules says the map can be changed anytime, but making a map choice on the site can only be done once?
I think he has a point, if the map choice isn't that big of a deal why can we only set it once.
Was some month since I dealt with admin stuff of a team but the system of the site behavs like this:
You pick a map when you schedule that you will play and that will inform your opp about that map choice.
This map choice can not be changed if I remember correctly so it feels like it is mandatory to play it.
But then the rules says something else, I was confused by this as well in the beginning.
I think a site update on this would be the solution to "the problem" of confusion from the site.
If it isn't mandatory to play that map why is it locked ?

It's not a big deal but I am feeling the guys confusion since I once had it.
But after some time our clan found out the "unknown" map so we didnt have to decide on the map when we scheduled.
And that is still possible I guess(?) so maybe that is another solution for you Hummel?

HiroriH
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 am

That is not the correct way to do things.

If the Urban-Zone staff allowed people to change map more than once, there would be some people changing it everyday. And that wouldn't be fair for anyone. Would end up giving a lot more of work to the UZ staff as they'd probably have to warn these spammers (unfortunately there are tons of people that don't have any respect for others, and so, it'd damn sure create some more spammers in here).

You can always change your map choice, even if not by your own hand.
For some reason, the UZ Staff distributes 2 Referees per division; so they can solve all of these problems.
It's only a PM away, it's simple and easy..
You can also join the UZ IRC (#urban-zone) and ask your division's supervisor to please change your map.

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:50 pm

- xandaxs
That is not the correct way to do things.

If the Urban-Zone staff allowed people to change map more than once, there would be some people changing it everyday. And that wouldn't be fair for anyone. Would end up giving a lot more of work to the UZ staff as they'd probably have to warn these spammers

The rules says you can, so why do uz staff need to bother. If the rules say you can change the map you can, there is nothing in the rules about a valid reason. So you can change it whenever you want and how often you want before the match start with the only reason you feel like it.

- xandaxs
You can always change your map choice, even if not by your own hand.
For some reason, the UZ Staff distributes 2 Referees per division; so they can solve all of these problems.
It's only a PM away, it's simple and easy..
You can also join the UZ IRC (#urban-zone) and ask your division's supervisor to please change your map.

I am not aware of how you run this stuff but I sure as well think its easier if teams could do this themself instead of other ppl need to work on it.

But I actually don't care, I only play this game and leave the administration for other ppl like Gnurkus, do it how you like it.
I just think he had a point when he pointed this out.

I believe his idea of an hour limit is cool. Maybe not 24h but maybe 1-3 hours, so the other team can prepare for it, play a pcw on the map and so on.

HiroriH
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 pm

You can means you got the right, not the possibility to do it yourself.

Vachette
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 pm

I have actually written some code to allow teams to change map whenever they like (currently it's part of the rescheduling process, which stops when both teams have agreed a date / time).

If the UZ admins wished to allow teams to change map whenever they liked themselves I could make it so. Wink

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm

U can bring on all the arguments u want, but there are some facts remaining to me.

UZ-Rules and Shedule System dont work together. Rules say u can switch BEFORE the map any time, any number of maps, shedule system does not.

Map-Choise can be a strategic weapon, but respect and fair play should be more important.

There should be a deadline for telling a map so the enemy knows what you will play. If u want to be able to change ur map in the last second before wars, then it may still be tactic, but primarely it's foul play and atm supported by the UZ-rules.

Teams should be obligated to organize not just their shedules, but also there map choise to ensure a fair basis of competition.

HummelHeXer

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 pm

It's written in the rules, so where's the real debate? Maybe in the fairness of the rule. In that case:

In my opinion both maps should be chosen right before the match starts. It's only logic:
That way you and your team have to train all maps in expectation of your oppenent's choice the matchday. -> That way you get a real advantage for the map you pick.

For example, on Starcraft 2 you chose your map right before you have to play it. Why do you think so? Probably not because it's "lame and dishonorable"

Regards,

Azle
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm

The debate is about how the site acts compared to the rules and the confusion it makes for ppl not veterans in uz.
But your version is fine aswell with not knowing ops map at all. But then the teams should report map when they have played and enter score, but today you set it when you schedule time and date, aldo you can change it anytime later on, but you cant do it yourself on the site.

HiroriH
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

This Season where so many Matches Forced to Default Time by the Ref´s and i think for myself that´s not really much Fair Play being Around.
Many Teams joining to late the Server for the Match, many Teams dont tell their Opponents the Map what they play and and and...
I like Hummel´s idea, but i would make it harder for the Team´s that dont make any Schedule...
My Head say´s: Each Clan has to tell the right map 1Day befor the match time is up and each Team what dont doing any Schedule has to play a Random Map what´s being chosen by their Supervisor.
So maybe they learn how the Schedule System works.

Trittin
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 am

Then maybe just allow teams to change map on the site 30 mins prior to match time till match time.

I think it is ok to switch until last second, but I also think at some point you should have to enter your choice on the site. Well, and if you are too late you are out of luck.

Nebel

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next