Div information

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Div information

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Kendle,

Thanks for the work you've put into the CMS... despite it being 'a bit' confusing at first... it clearly can be so much more than just a 'league CMS'.

It seems to me that we kinda lost one specific aspect of a 'league CMS' though... and I would love to get it back.

Back in the old days, when you clicked on a Division, in the right column, you were driven to an awesome page, which I assume is were 99% of the traffic was :
THE DIVISION PAGE Smile

urban-zone.org/league/...p=gr&id=88

This particular page has everything anyone would want to see about a particular division :
- A table, summing everything up
- Match history - Round by round

This is... oh so useful for any team :
You can check out your opponent's efficiency, see how they performed in previous wars... or... even in previous seasons ! And that... is priceless.

Really, please, really, give us back a page that brings this all back, people (i assume) will be VERY grateful.

F1 anyone ? Smile

UnDeaD

Re: Div information

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:53 pm

F1 from me and eya Smile but of course only when kendle has time to do this

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

- UnDeaD
Kendle, Thanks for the work you've put into the CMS

F1 Wink

- UnDeaD
THE DIVISION PAGE

F1 Smile

EDIT* surprise, suprise - posting at the same time Smile

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 pm

What a good idea, so good in fact I've already done it !!

Check the main page for whichever competition :-

www.urban-zone.org/ind...on&event=5

The Division labels are now links, click the Division you're interested in and the page will reload with just that Division selected. This is Div #1 in the CTF League, for example :-

www.urban-zone.org/ind...division=9

The tabs now all obey the division you've selected, so the Fixtures tab only shows Div #1 fixtures, the Calendar tab only shows Div #1 fixtures, the Teams tab only shows Div #1 teams (the others are un-touched because they're not Division specific).

Does this serve the purpose ?

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:33 pm

/me thinks we're just stat hungry -> urban-zone.org/league/...p=gr&id=88 has more stats Smile

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Of course when Kendle has time :).
It is there now indeed :), only as mentioned by Seven, the former site has more stats :).

That and tabs don't always make it easier :(.

There is not that much info per div, ie having to scroll down to check it all is not that big a deal... and it was split up by round, not date, which is a bit easier to spot and follow.

Oh, and, would it be possible to get a link to this particular info straight from the homepage ?
In term of navigation, I guess an "arrow" icon next to the division number would be enough.

Hence :
- Clicking on the TEXT (ie "Division 1") would expand/fold DIV info
- Clicking on the ARROW (ie right next to "Division 1") would bring you to that div's page

On an extra note (but I guess there's not point creating a thread for that...), 2 things :

1) Could you please make "Views : 67 | Comments : 4" clickable ? I keep on clicking on "Comments", expecting the post to load up and scrolling down to comments :D, I guess it's pretty standard to see it behave that way these days.

2) Could you add navigation breadcrumbs on top of forum pages ? ie above thread title ? It is currently only present at the bottom which doesn't seem optimal to me... yeah redundancy sometimes suck, but not this time I assume, and I think it would be nice (and quite painless to implement :)).

UnDeaD

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 pm

- UnDeaD
That and tabs don't always make it easier :(.

There is not that much info per div, ie having to scroll down to check it all is not that big a deal

There isn't currently, but there might be. Imagine how huge the page would be if there were 20 teams in a division and the tables and fixtures were on the same page?

Tabs are used to ensure information is presented in manageable chunks, and they also improve performance because each tab fetches content via an AJAX call so it's not all loaded at the same time.

- UnDeaD
... and it was split up by round, not date, which is a bit easier to spot and follow.

You can click the "Round" link to sort by round, but I'm sure I could make it default.

- UnDeaD

Oh, and, would it be possible to get a link to this particular info straight from the homepage ?

Could you please make "Views : 67 | Comments : 4" clickable ?

Could you add navigation breadcrumbs on top of forum pages ?

Probably. Smile

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for your quick reply :).

What about my suggestion regarding links to Divs straight from home ? Smile

UnDeaD

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Probably

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm

XOXO :).

I might come up with other suggestions, but I guess it might be a good idea to let people votes on ideas before you start taking time implementing them...

UnDeaD

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

I do things that I think add value to the system, not just because people ask for them. Not all suggestions will be implemented, but sensible ones will definately be considered.

(the division labels in the list on the home page are now clickable links btw)

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:21 pm

I found myself also clicking on comments expecting it would go directly there, but yea, I agree with kendle, only if it truly ads value to the system.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks for the implementation of division links in the sidebar !
However, arrows to expand divisions only work on home... but yeah it's a detail, gaining access to the division in a click is what matters the most !
Cheers.

UnDeaD

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 pm

The home page side block table list should now use a cookie to remember which ones you have open and closed. It was a bit tricky because I had to store the division number per event as otherwise the divisions open / closed would change when viewing a detail page in the CTF / TS leagues because they don't both show both tables (the block is context sensitive, when viewing a TS league match you only see the TS league tables, unlike the home page where you see CTF as well).

The main table display on the competition page isn't collapsable and almost certainly won't ever be because of the table layout and the various options that are available internally for how it's displayed. Not saying it's not possible but it'd be a shed load of work which I don't feel like tackling at the moment Wink

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Page 1 of 1