Swiss System for UZ TS DIV1

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQ โ€ข Search โ€ข View unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Swiss format for division 1?

66%

33%

Total Votes: 56

Swiss System for UZ TS DIV1

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Several people have been asking me if it where possible to have the top 8 (or top 16 depending on signups) teams play the first div in the swiss format.

Is that something you guys would like?

CTF will remain a regular group + playoffs league, and BOMB will continue on with what we've been getting used to lately: a double elimination bracket.

Last edited by Biddle on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Biddle
Admin
Admin

Re: Swiss System for UZ TS DIV1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:40 am

NO

swaginacup
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 am

I think 16 teams for 1st division is way too much on the current game situation.
Maybe 2 groups of 5 each is enough (if needed we can make 2 Qualifiers matches for two places in Div1).

Last edited by Arexo on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am; edited 3 times in total

Arexo
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 am

That's a nope too !

I like groups too much Sad

Zmbiie
World Champion
World Champion

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am

My suggestion:

-Single Group
-6 matches
-To define matches: first week is by draw (im not sure if is the exactly word). After the first week: 1st x 2nd, 3rd x 4th, etc (each team facing another one just once on groups stage). Strong teams always playing against strong teams with this formula.
-6 teams on playoffs, 1st and 2nd directly on semifinals, waiting a playoff match between 3rd x 6th, 4th x 5th

Total: 9 weeks

BladexxXX

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 am

I agree with arx on this one, 16 teams seems pretty big and group format can do just fine. Including qualifiers could be a good idea though to add 1 team in each Group A and B respectively.

Kyros

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:58 am

The thing is, about that season, there are a lot of players/teams coming backnowledge, and they seem to sign-up in multiples teams.
Even if 16 teams seems much, there are actually 16 teams who have legitimate aspirations for d1 and should not be placed in d2. That include :
- Teams who performed in previous seasons (Essence, b00bs)
- News teams formed this seasons with at least a few good players (HDDEV, Dank Blaze, Team Z, Fsociety, Alphabet)
- Former d1 teams coming backnowledge from inactivity (h5, z2x, frenetic, aera, va)
- Teams who are basic lysette national teams that performed well during Nc (Argentina aka powerfrag, Colombia aka Immortal7)
- Team who earned their place by winning d2 last season (tides of the tigers).
Thats already 15 teams, and they all deserve it. And we can realisticly see the last place disputed by dragons alters and only ones as they both finished second in d2 last season.

You can find all those teams and roster in a single page here : www.shourt.fr/ListTeams3.php
They are ranked by expected level considering there players level/activity

My point is : there are 16 teams that deserve the place in d1 this season. And I think the best system to play is the Swiss system, not the classic groups that leads to tons of unnecessary matches and tons of forfeit. Last Nc as the most match played pourcentage in all competitions since I've played. Let's juste continue that way.

Sasuke
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 am

If the idea is include 16 teams in Div1 we can also consider doing 4 groups of 4 teams where the 1st and 2nd make it to Playoffs just like some UZ old seasons or ClanBase used to be (even with 5 teams per group on that era).

On other side, doing qualifiers for some spots in Div1 could be interesting and would give some "value" to being a Div1 team.

Arexo
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:20 am

The main issues with your suggestions Arexo is that, except for a few teams, we don't really know how good most of teams are because most of them are composed of at least a few inactives/returning players in their main five. We had exemples in NC that the skill lost depends totally of the players.

The other problems is that, as usual in those competitions, a few teams will quit during it, and if thats an issue with 4 groups of 4 (if one team quit in your group, you can qualify with one loss and one draw). And I'm not even talking about group balance, which would be extremely difficult considering the teams. With Swiss system, you don't have those issues since when a team quits, nobody directly benefits for it (since even if you face them you still have 2 others matches to win), and balancing is not that importants because the seeds only impact the first round.

Doing qualifiers could be a solution in an other context, but that's also extremely difficult in this one. If, as an exemple, you want to reduce the list to 8 teams, then there are no teams exempted of qualifiers. If you want to reduce it to 10 teams, then there are only 4 teams exempt. And I pass the fact that doing qualifiers and then groupstage takes as much time, if longer, than simply playing the Swiss system, with way less interesting matches in the process.

Sasuke
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 am

From my point of view, idc about system of group stage but i care about mapcycles (in ts league we have to play 2 mapcycles, 1st for group and 2nd for playoffs and those mapcycles include some unplayable/rare maps) and elimination method (eliminating maps till 3 are left sucks xd).

9 (or 11) maps are ok (abbey, casa, tp, tohunga, kingdom, orbital, prague, austria and sanc/uptown/cambridge (?)).

I think we should copy elimination way from csgo, it is really nice and fair for both teams. They eliminate 1-2 maps after that they pick their maps and then they again eliminate to pick 3rd map

KJT.
Regular
Regular

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:47 am

Agreed with KJT on that as well. I've always been in favor of that kind of system for Urt.
First point : Map list and map selection should follow the same process during the whole tournament. The reason are obvious, we had in the past teams that were unbeatable on one map only that went to playoffs and get destroyed during it.
Suggested Maplist : 9 most played maps in TS according to my stats on Shourt are Casa, Tohunga, Orbital, Austria, Prague, Turnpike, Kingdom, Sanc, Abbey. No others maps should be in since no teams barring one or two know how to play them ( that include my team being a fan of Beijing in the past, boobs being the only uptown players, or more recently during the Nc some SA teams picking Cambridge in order to beat stronger teams by camping on it). Those 9 maps are fine and known by everybody.

Map selection system : if that's a system when eveRyan match is a must-win one (such as the Swiss system), then we can go for the veto system use in most cs tournament for Bo3 : BAN-BAN-PICK-PICK-BAN-BAN-BAN-BAN, the last map being the eventual third map.

Sasuke
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Oe, i like that map selection system you describe sasuke. Would provide some storytelling aswell.

With regard to swiss/group systems, when we started the leagues we weren't aware of other systems and it was purely groups, no playoffs even.
We figured seasons would be faster than clanbase so within 2 months the teams would promote to the right division (level). Unfortuntaly we only had 1 extra season compared to clanbase, and clans quickly came and left (quit). This swiss system might be a solution however i saw that there were less matches in total compared to groups however the matches were on a more fair level.

Another solution would be handicap, but I dont see that happening in urt Smile

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:39 pm

sasuke for president, je vote oui a la place +1

Kyros

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pm

LoOooOOOoOoOL Sasuke high key threw that shade

swaginacup
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree, why not copy the "biggest" FPS game, this game needs new stuff, not only makes it more interesting, it innovates the game a little bit

A3rox
World Champion
World Champion

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next